Hand-pieced Hexagon Superpower

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

By day, I'm your average, run-of-the-mill PhD student, but by night...

Hexagon Quilt Progress

...I hand-sew this hexagon quilt (well, and other things I don't discuss on the blog).

Hexagon Quilt Progress

I've been working on these hexagon-pieced diamond shapes when I have some free time, using my tutorial. This explains why I've been posting only about food lately. Progress is slow.

Hexagon Quilt Progress

Eventually, I'm going to attach all the diamonds together with lines of ivory hexagons, like in this inspiration photo from flickr/Aunt-Mary. I'd say the hexagons are approximately 1.5" tall, made from fabrics I've bought as well as scraps that have been lying around. I have about ~40 of the diamond-shapes, who knows how many more I'll need for a full/queen-sized bed.

Hexagon Quilt Progress

  1. How To: Hexagon Quilt Top Piecing 9/11/2010
  2. Progress Report 12/15/2010
  3. Progress Report 4/4/2012
  4. Progress Report 4/18/2012
  5. Progress Report 5/16/2012
  6. Step One: Hexagon Quilt Top Done 5/29/2012
  7. Step Two & Three: Backing & Quilt Sandwich 6/19/2013
  8. Step Four: Hand Quilting 8/28/2013
  9. Step Five: Non-Traditional Hexagon Quilt Binding Tutorial 9/18/13
  10. A Review of the Hexagon Quilt 10/2/13

6 comments:

Allison said...

This is very cool. I need to try my hand at quilting. I fear I'm not patient enough to do a good job.
Thanks for the comment about Colorado. It was one of those things that I knew could happen but never expected it to be so bad.

h said...

My sewing machine is currently experiencing technical difficulties, so I've resorted to things that can only be done like hand. The hexagon hand-piecing is fairly simple, it just takes a lot of time!

rainmelon said...

I love this -- much as I love that chair with the hexagons. I'm thinking of using hexagonal pieces for a garland-type chain (kind of like your felt pieces) for my kitchen or closet. We'll see if it comes to fruition...

h said...

sDas. Hexagons. They're the "it" thing right now. Ha!

Kris said...

Gorgeous! That will be so nice when it's done, and especially cool since you did it by hand.

h said...

...if it ever gets done...hahahaha