Get Outside and Geocache

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Do you like to go traipsing through the wilderness cursing at various GPS devices for being uninterpretable, in search of boxes of useless junk? Then you might enjoy Geocaching.

Geocache "Goodies"

I've been tagging along on some local geocaching adventures, it seems the Pittsburgh city parks are full of them. It's fun to give your evening walk a bit of a purpose, even if it does involve scrambling off-trail in the mud and the dark. To get involved, all you need is a Geocaching.com account, and a GPS device (we use an iPhone or the Garmin GPS)...and a strong desire to rack up a list of as many Geocaches as possible ;)

iPhone Geocaching Inside Frick Park at Twilight
Does Not Belong Geocache "Goodies"
Cloudy Tiger Lily

9 comments:

Amanda said...

a friend of mine from high school is super into geocaching. I've never done it, but it looks fun :) I love scavenger hunts, so I think that's a good sign, ha!

h said...

Yeah, it is a little like a scavenger hunt. I guess I should've mentioned that, hahaha!

Unknown said...

no freaking way, I used to geocache all the time. dropped off over this past winter and I haven't started back up again. I'll have to start it up again!

Kris said...

I love your pictures of your adventures. I've been wanting to try out letterboxing, which is similar but doesn't require a GPS.

Kaylia Payne said...

I have heard of this, it looks amazing!!! Kind of like orienteering :)

christine donee said...

I've actually always wanted to do that!

h said...

You should really try it, it's a lot of fun...when it's not frustrating ;)

Alex said...

I've heard about this and really want to try it out!!

Alli said...

I'm a geocaching-holic. I LOVE IT. A scavenger hunt is the best way to describe it. It's a great way to get outdoors and you'll see so many new places as a result!