Success: Mixed Berry Pie

Sunday, August 12, 2012

You guys. I went berry picking. And then I was drowning in raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. But not loganberries. Definitely not loganberries, blech. Something had to be done, and so like any reasonable individual, I made a pie.

The recipe is based on a blueberry pie recipe from shockingly delicious and the pie crust is an all butter crust from SmittenKitchen. Instead of all blueberries, I used all the berries I had lying around. I've never made a pie where the filling is cooked on the stove top, separately from the crust, and I think I might prefer the more traditional way. This pie is sort of like eating a pie filled with berry jelly. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but...yeah. I like my fruit baked!

Also, this was the first time I've used SmittenKitchen's All Butter Pie Crust recipe, and it is very flaky, but also easy to roll out. Much easier than either of the other two pie crusts I've used in the past. But maybe that's just because I kept this pie dough very, very cold?



3 comments:

rooth said...

Mmm mmm mmm. I get too impatient with pie (with the freezing of the crust and all) and eat all the berries before they can be incorporated. Sigh

missris said...

This looks amazing! I'm also pretty impatient about high maintenance pie crust. I usually buy one, and then wonder why it tastes like cardboard.

Stephanie said...

Sure looks good! I was planning on making a pie this week as well. Too many blueberries! : )