
I've been making great use of my 'Food in Jars' book by Marisa McClellan, for those of you who haven't been following along. In one frenzied 90 degree evening, I put up 9 pints of her dilly beans (totally delicious) and 5 pints of these pickled brussels sprouts.
Although, a note about the online pickled brussels sprouts recipe it varies significantly from the book version, everything from the quantity of sprouts (doubled!), the vinegar (white), mustard seed & bay leaves(coriander/cumin/celery), and quantity of garlic cloves. I'm sure the online recipe is quite lovely, too, I'll be sure and try that next time.
Just a note about the pickling process with these, I found that 'sprouts have a tendency to either hide lots of air bubbles, or absorb the brine super fast, so it might be savvy to be aggressive with air bubble elimination and leave a 1/4" headspace instead of 1/2". The liquid levels have a tendency to lower about 0.5-1 inch!


[Edit 11/30/14: These pickled brussels sprouts are great just as they are. Not *quite* as tasty as dilly beans, but a close second. Will make again.]
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for visiting my blog! Comments are greatly appreciated.