I never feel as great a sense of accomplishment as I do when I learn and master a new skill. In the past handful of years, that's meant
gardening (and its various sub-skills),
faux (and real) calligraphy, and
quilting, among others forgotten...Recently, I've picked up a new one...

Handspinning! Who knows where we'll end up with this one...

My first skeins are pretty gnarly. I call it "art yarn". Spinners tend to hold onto their first skeins, so they can see how far they've come. Day 2 and my handspun is already looking slightly more consistent, a lot less twisty, and breaks more rarely. Now I just have to remember to keep my hands far enough apart.
KnitPicks' Kelley's Wheel Spinning Class is a decent high-level overview. Follow that up with
Jillian Eve's 'How to Spin Yarn on a Spinning Wheel the First Time is a more in-depth approach to the specifics of spinning. (
JillianEve has a whole selection of introductory spinning videos that are worth a browse for the beginniner). I also like to watch a couple other [lower production value] videos for beginner handspinning, just to watch some other approaches and pick-up different tips.
This video from ExpressionFiberArts,
a video from Ashley Martineau, and
TheTextileIndy's video are a decent start for that.
Reading through the spinning wheel manual is particularly helpful for figuring out which parts need oil (most metal-on-metal parts - not the brake band!), as are
videos specific to your spinning wheel showing how to set it up for spinning.
Craftsy also has a collection of spinning classes that are pretty decent - a foundation for beginners, specific classes on plying, drafting, working with color, among other topics. I also suspect that
The School of Sweet Georgia Online Handspinning Classes and
Abby's Yarns' Franquemont University are pretty good, but I haven't [yet] tried them. But the real gem of a resource is the
Sheepspot Podcast and the handspinners' social media membership site,
Sheepspot's The Flock.
I'm so impressed with the variety and number of hobbies you have. It's an inspiration!
ReplyDeleteNew hobbies are so much fun. I got into needle felting a few years ago and need to pick that up again!
ReplyDelete