Old-Fashioned

Friday, October 1, 2010

'High Tea' Doily

I know doilies are old fashioned, but I enjoy making them. Being primarily a lace knitter/crocheter, it goes with the territory. This is the 'High Tea' Doily by Ocie Jordan from Leisure Arts #3104, Tea Time Doilies.
'High Tea' Doily

The trick is to figure out how to make the doily more modern, and less antiquated. I like using bright color thread, or making a doily tablerunner. This rather large doily is destined to be a gift, so it's up to her what she does with it, haha.
"Dry Wedding"
I call this photo "Dry Wedding."

2 comments:

Kris said...

Your lace work is stunning. It reminds me of the crocheted snowflakes that my mom and grandma hang on their Christmas trees. Would there be a way to make some more modern versions of those with the same techniques?

h said...

Ah, yes, snowflakes. Part of the same thread-craft family as doilies.

I've been really digging Alicia Paulson's Christmas ornament kits. She has a way of updating embroidery/knitting/cross-stitch/etc. in the cutest way.

It'll take some brainstorming.