Success: Homemade Vanilla Extract [omg]

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I love alcohol as much as the next lady, but who knew you could turn something so awesome into something else awesome...like vanilla extract?

Homemade Vanilla Extract

It turns out, you can make your own homemade vanilla extract with a cup of 80 proof liquor and three+ sliced vanilla beans (and two months' worth of patience). This "recipe" is from word-of-mouth, but there's plenty of homemade vanilla extract recipes online.

Homemade Vanilla Extract Week 0 - Homemade Vanilla Extract
Homemade Vanilla Extract Week 0 - Homemade Vanilla Extract

14 comments:

tinajo said...

I had no idea! :-)

Unknown said...

sweet! did you try and drink some straight from the bottle? I don't think I would be able to resist!

h said...

Haha, I have tasted it, and just like all vanilla extract, it's kinda gross. This is why it's used for baking and not as a salad dressing, heh.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I had no idea vanilla extract was made with alcohol...then again I have no idea how to cook for the most part hehe :)

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Abby said...

Your blog is gorgeous! I love the photos. And this is so creative, I'm your newest follower ;)

cpcable said...

Very cool. Like tinajo, I had no idea!

Andrea Reh said...

What a great idea - I use so much vanilla extract, so I will definitely keep this in mind!

Just discovered your blog and would love it if you popped by mine sometime.

Andrea x
andreareh.blogspot.com

Jamie said...

I need to give this a try! Great tip.

Jillian said...

I've been meaning to make my own vanilla extract for a while now. So much better than the store-bought stuff. And it never expires!

keishua said...

that is probably the coolest piece of information, I have heard today. Will have to try it.

amy b.s. said...

um yum! this is awesome! can't wait to try it out!

Unknown said...

this is fantastic! i've always wanted to make my own vanilla extract!

http://thelittlebrunettemermaid.blogspot.com/

Kaylia Payne said...

Wow, I did not know this! that's cool! Also thanks for the link, it was fantastic :)

Atley said...

You sure your blog is not named "bring your own Vodka" ? lol. kidding. But I just made my own Vodka based off this . It smells AWESOME, however still tastes like the vodka. great for cooking though!