West Virginia: Camping in Cooper's Rock State Forest

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

J's Bridge HDR

I spent the weekend camping in West Virginia's Cooper's Rock State Forest at the Chestnut Ridge Park & Campground. The campground was crowded with monster Cabela's tents, propane lanterns, and fuel-induced campfires, and we still managed to have a relaxing time in the new lightweight tent (the Marmot Limelight 3).

The Tent, Marmot Limelight 3

We spent our one full day at the forest hiking ~8 miles along the Scott Run Trail, then the Raven Rock Trail (picked up at McCollum Campground), and then back to the car along the Roadside Trail.



My new boots saved me from a miserably wet/rocky/muddy intermediate climb through the Scott Run Trail. Dry feet, no blisters. I'm impressed.

Boots at Raven Rock Overlook Mmm...mossy.
Wild Pink Lady Slippers Embers Long Exposure
Roadside Trail Raven Rock Overlook
Cooper's Rock Overlook, WV From Inside the Tent
Hawk at Raven Rock in West Virginia Raven Rock Overlook
Changing Forest Light Camp Breakfast: Omelette
Scott Run Trail in Cooper's Rock State Forest Long Exposure Scott Run Trail Creek Raven Rock Overlook

11 comments:

Princess and the Pea said...

Wow, lovely photos! I wish there was places like that to go camping in the UK - it's usually too cold and wet!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

What gorgeous photos...

Looks like you are having a good time. I've also left for a little vacation from the everyday, but I'm too old to sleep in a tent these days! I used to tent camp all the time, but my back just doesn't think that it should have to put up with that stuff anymore..

Thanks for stopping by...

Chloe said...

What boots did you get?

h said...

Chloe - I got the Asolo Stynger GTX Hiking Boots during REI's anniversary sale. Well worth it, I think.

k said...

IDK what i would do without hiking shoes around here!! those pictures are awesome though, i do like camping but usually for one night max, haha:)

Jillian said...

This sounds like so much fun! I've never been camping before, so these photos really make me want to go.

JennV said...

Very cool photo looking out from the tent.

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

ahhhh how fun! the photos came out gorgeous!! <3

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Kris said...

great pictures! looks like a really nice spot!

Stephanie said...

I haven't been camping in SO long. I miss it. And after looking at your photos, I miss it even more!! Lately the closest I've gotten to camping is making s'mores over the fire pit in my back yard. ;-)

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Wow! Your photos are so beautiful. Almost makes me want to give up my nice soft bed for a night of roughing it :)