Fail: Peppermint Cream-Filled Butter Cookies

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I wanted to love these Peppermint Cream-filled Butter Cookies but they made that impossible from the very start.


The dough was absolutely unmanageable. Out of the fridge, it was too cold to roll out and then once it was warm enough to roll out, it was too warm and turned back to crumbles again. This is why some of the cookies are semi-mangled heart shapes, and the rest are balls of peppermint-filled rage.


Even the taste was disappointing. To go through all this dough-wrangling, I would've expected a stronger peppermint taste, but instead I got mostly a butter-cookie taste. Which is alright, but when I expend that much energy banging peppermint starlights with a hammer, I really expect more oomph.


I'm basically convinced that the author of the recipe used a different dough recipe to take her photos, because my dough never looked like the ones in the photos, and I don't usually screw baked goods up too much.

I have henceforward renamed these cookies "bastard cookies."

12 comments:

Marisa A. said...

Bahah ball of peppermint filled rage, I love it. Sorry they turned out to be so disappointing. The sound so good.

Margaret said...

Even amidst the failure, I still think they _look_ a wee bit delicious. Oh frustrating recipes! We expect so much more of you!

nancy said...

oh, I CAN RELATE. rage cookies. not-even-that-tasty, aesthetically-challenged balls of rage.

Mackenzie said...

oh my lord, your blog is absolutely adorable! peppermint anything makes my heart aflutter.

Jim said...

http://craftfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/cookie-monster-cupcakes-nailed-it.jpg

Jillian said...

Ah that sucks! I definitely know a thing or two about baking fails. Sometimes, it's my fault, but other times it's the inaccurate recipes. Hate that.

Cindy said...

Haha awe I'm sorry they didn't turn out well. I can relate! I'm normally a decent baker, but sometimes..sometimes it just isn't workin'

The bastard cookies part really had me laughing too. Thanks! xD Happy holidays!

Impulsive Addict said...

Yikes! I hate it when my cookies are filled with rage! And banging peppermints with a hammer does NOT sound like my kind of fun.

But I can appreciate the humor in this post for sure! ;)

R. Chandra said...

OMG! these look so creative/delicious.. i adore everything peppermint. mmmm

Unknown said...

Well....'A' for effort anyway! You deserve a gallon of that delicious seasonal peppermint ice cream to make up for the cookie fail. :)

Merry Christmas to you!!

ariel said...

Peppermint rage filled cookies! That's kind of hilarious :) Maybe the filling would work with a sugar cookie type dough?

h said...

They are tasty-ish, just otherwise a complete disappointment.