Semi-Success: Homemade Crockpot Yogurt

Wednesday, April 11, 2012


After being inspired by Heather Bailey's blog to try my hand at some homemade yogurt made in a Crockpot, I acquired this recipe, from Our Life Simplified and followed it pretty much exactly, using some Fage yogurt. I ended up with really drippy yogurt, though. It was still edible, I just added some cocoa powder and blended it with a couple bananas to make chocolate banana yogurt shakes for a week. It worked out alright.

I'm thinking where I went wrong must be the milk. Do you know how tricky it is to find not Ultra-pasteurized milk? I think I managed to find just plain "Pasteurized", but I'm not sure there's really a difference. Maybe next time I'll add some evaporated milk flakes to thicken it up...not sure.


7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow! I actually didn't know you could make yogurt at home. What a cool thing to try!

missris said...

I'm seriously impressed. Might not be replicating this, but still mightily impressed.

rooth said...

Hrrm, it still looks good. Kind of like Beijing yogurt!

Kaylia Payne said...

I had no idea yoghurt could be make in crockpots, that is so cool! Shame it turned out runny but the shake idea was a good one!

memory said...

I'm not a big fan of yogurt but I think it's so rad that you tried it in a crockpot. Never heard of such a thing!

SoUtHeRnPiNkY.bLoGsPoT.cOm

jeni said...

yogurt's finicky. i remember trying to make vietnamese yogurt the first time. blegh. you'll get in the groove though!

Deidre said...

A friend gave me a make your own yogurt kit for my birthday last year - and I haven't tried it yet! This post made me a bit nervous about it!