Chair Toes

Friday, August 2, 2013

Outdoor Chair - Before Outdoor Chair - Before

Using the toes of boring furniture as an accent is no new idea, and quite honestly, I probably should have gone a little bit bolder with what I left as exposed wood and what I painted teal. But. You know. Whatever. The purple and black had to go and I found this chair on the side of the road. It's going to spend the rest of its days outside on the fire escape anyways.

If I cared to spend more money on this found chair, I would've gone out and bought some outdoor paint. And maybe sanded some of the old paint off. As it is, even with 3 coats of indoor paint (Behr's "Beach Towel") and 2 coats of Polycrilic, the paint will likely peel off sooner rather than later. Or the Polycrilic will yellow. Or something equally grotesque. I can hardly wait!

Outdoor Chair - Stripping the toes

3 comments:

Julie [Plums for Breakfast] said...

Haha--this is how I approach painting furniture. I always go into it with good intentions, and then i'm like "eh, if it peels off, whatever."

Anyway, I like the teal, it's super cute. Hope it lasts a while for you!

Stephanie said...

Ha! You know what's fun? When you accidentally leave a comment under the Readers Advisory account while you're working at the library. ;-)

ANYWAY, commenting under the CORRECT user name, now, and paraphrasing my original comment, the chair looks super cute, at least for now! And while I've never painted outdoor furniture, a year or two ago I repainted the woodwork on our front porch, using the proper paint, but probably didn't sand as well as I should have. So I will most likely be repainting it again sooner rather than later.

Anonymous said...

I like it. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up against the elements.