Sewing a Spinning Wheel Cover

Sunday, March 10, 2024

I've been randomly swathing my spinning wheels in this lovely JoAnn Fabrics pre-quilted fabric for a couple years now, to keep the dust and cats out. 'Seemed like high time to make the cover a little more formal. Now it looks like I have a little floral torso sitting in the craft room, lol.

Spinning Wheel Cover Spinning Wheel Cover

Having the little head piece on top makes the wheel easier to move while still covered, as the mother-of-all is easier to see and grab. I've been debating making a ripstop carrying bag for awhile, but realized I don't travel with my wheels that often, so a nicer cover for when they sit at home makes a lot more sense.

Spinning Wheel Cover Spinning Wheel Cover

I improvised by measuring the widest portion of each dimension, rounded up, and added an inch for seam allowance. This approach has made the cover reverseible, so I don't have to always have the wider end covering the wheel. Not sure how I feel about it. Sewed with a 3/8" seam allowance, and finished the raw edges with a zigzag stitch. Bottom edge is finished with bias binding from leftover quilting cotton.

0 comments: