Success: Rich Chocolate Mousse

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I have a self-enforced policy that I am not allowed to purchase store-bought sweets, but I can make as many desserts as I like. This recipe is an easy way to resolve midnight cravings for something decadent, since the ingredients are likely ones already in your kitchen. This mousse is rich, so a little goes a long way.

Homemade Rich Chocolate Mousse

I would call this 'Rubber Chocolate Mousse', because if you don't let it thaw for 3-5 minutes after you take it from the fridge, it's rather, um, resilient.

Rich Chocolate Mousse Recipe (makes 3)
Ingredients
5 oz chocolate (I used semisweet chocolate chips)
Splash of milk
1/4 cup sugar
Splash of all purpose flour
2 eggs, separated
Tiny pinch cream of tartar (semi-optional)

Directions
  1. Melt chocolate and milk in a saucepan.
  2. Mix the egg yolks and sugar with the chocolate, then sift in flour.
  3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form (the eggs will hold their shape).
  4. Fold the whites into the chocolate, delicately (you don't want to deflate the egg whites).
  5. Divide evenly into ramekins or a bowl and refrigerate 4 hours.
  6. You might want to let the mousse sit out for ~5 minutes before serving, so it loses its rubber-texture.
If you want more servings, you can just double the amounts of ingredients, but I would probably use 5 eggs instead of just 4.

Homemade Rich Chocolate Mousse

6 comments:

Unknown said...

yummmmmmmmmm. seriously not a huge sweets fan, but this looks awesome. might have to try the apple cin oatmeal cookies soon too!

HOGGER + Co. said...

Wow how succulent! Would love to try this. I have a yummy recipe for chocolate cake:
http://foodhogger.com/2009/03/22/zucchini-chocolate-orange-cake/
Let me know if you try it!

Little Blue Mouse said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Mmm, I love chocolate, this looks scrummy!

J. said...

Well I think I'm going to have to put the healthy eating on pause for this one. That just looks too freaking good.


And, I so hear ya on the bucket of paint. As soon as it stops raining I'm dragging my desk outside and giving it a makeover!

Kris said...

That looks amazing!!

Kristina said...

Cool idea! Giving in to what you really want (something ridiculously decadent) probably curbs cravings for less gourmet things...like the baking cabinet's semisweet chocolate chips I resort to when I'm feeling desperate!