Now I've Done It

Friday, July 20, 2012

Bicycling a Tiny Piece of the Trail Around Lake Union

When I was 16 years old, I would ride my bike to work everyday, about one mile each way. Nothing major, although I would get honked at sometimes mid-commute. But then, every time I needed to be somewhere at a specific time, say for marching band practice, I would get a flat tire. I replaced the tube, I took it to a bike shop, but still got another flat tire. At the end of that summer, I swore off ever riding a bicycle again.

~Ten years later, and I've done it. I've gotten back on a bicycle for myriad reasons, but mostly because my employer is subsidizing the cost. And now, someone who has not ridden a bicycle in ten years is riding around downtown Seattle. I'd think it was sort of hilarious if I weren't so darn worried the whole time. Maybe someday I'll even figure out how to get on/off the derned bike.

The Bike's Still There!
Bicycling a Tiny Piece of the Trail Around Lake Union
Bicycling a Tiny Piece of the Trail Around Lake Union

6 comments:

missris said...

I've also recently reacquainted myself with bike riding as a form of transportation, and it can be so nerve-wracking. When I'm out and about, I try to replace that feeling with smug satisfaction that I don't need gas or a parking spot :)

rooth said...

The last time I rode a bike was in San Diego and it was just for fun - not with any serious intention of getting anywhere. I think it'd make me mighty nervous cycling through traffic

Sara said...

Awesome!! I wish we could use it as a form of transportation here but car drivers are way to scary to share the road with. Color me jealous and happy for you!

Chris said...

I started riding again recently too. I thought my commute was too far to ride, but I got a folding bike (a Montague), so I'm still driving, but not as much. It's really amazing that they say it's just like riding a bike. I definitely had a bad case of the wobbles the first week or so.

Stephanie said...

Good for you! I've been dying to start riding my bike again. I don't really have a commute, but maybe just for fun! : )

Margaret said...

Oh man! This is gold. Glad you got back on your bike. Despite our hills and weather, Seattle is a pretty rad place to bike around. Love the Burke Gilman.