日本: Fukuoka

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Blossoms!

I learned something this past weekend: Do not stray from your Type A roots, because you will end up in a strange city on a three day weekend with nowhere to stay. Homeless. Through some miracle, AirBnB pulled through for me, within an hour of my homeless arrival to Fukuoka in the Kyushu region (i.e., far away from where I live). I'm still not entirely sure how I pulled it off. 90% of the time, things go my way, the other 10%? Well, you sleep in a train station for the other 10%.

I took a shinkansen (bullet train), which was pretty nifty (and expensive)! But sometimes it's more important that you get to your vacancy-less city sooner rather than later. There's all those temples to see! And ramen to eat! And day trips to Dazaifu! And onsen to not faint in! And museums with signs that say "Welcome to Boston!" I even found someone's lost wallet in a bathroom and had an exciting "conversation" with the lost and found.

The highlight of the trip was probably a tiny tiny monkey riding a tiny dog, crossing the street. Sometimes...things are so magical, my measly brain cannot possibly comprehend them.

Tenman-gu Winter Garden
Tenman-gu
Kanzeon-ji Tenman-gu Arrows
Bonsai Sale
Sad Performing Monkey
Tenman-gu Bridge
Kanzeon-ji
Hakata Bay from the Train
My and my bowl of ramen
Kushida-jinja Torii Kushida-jinja
Dazaifu
Alternate Hakata Dolls
Hakata/Fukuoka
Monkey, Riding a Dog, Crossing the Street

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Just when I'd thought to myself "Oh, I wish she'd gotten a picture of the monkey riding the dog" BAM! There it was, at the very end. Thank you. Thank you for that. My day is made.

iris said...

It's not the greatest photo, but it's all I got!

missris said...

I LOVE the photo of the monkey riding the dog, both in miniature. Perfect.

Manda said...

Personally, I like your image of ramen the best. Yum... ramen!! :D

Stephanie said...

I had the same thought as Nicole, and was lamenting the lack of monkey-riding-a-dog pictures. But I think that made finally seeing it all the more exciting! ;-)

rooth said...

You absolutely and completely had me at RAMEN - please tell me it was wondeful

Related Posts with Thumbnails