日本: Appliances

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Non-intuitive Washing Machine

I've made some references throughout my posts about using the appliances in this 1DK. Like. They had to send someone to my apartment my first morning to show me how to use everything. And I spend an inordinate amount of time consulting reference manuals for things like my washing machine and bathtub control panels.

Anyone who thinks washing machine usage is intuitive and will be easy to transfer across cultures has never seen a foreign washing machine. I knew from my laundry encounters in Turkey that Japan would be a bit of a challenge. With a partially translated manual, it's not so bad, but have you looked at the [above] washing machine? How would you turn the thing on without consulting a reference?

Appliance Manuals

2 comments:

Carolyn Watson-Dubisch said...

That looks really challenging. How you thought about just randomly hitting buttons? My tech savvy daughter figures everything out that way (since she was a toddler).

Why Girls Are Weird said...

Oh my gosh, I'd be the one hitting random buttons lol.