日本: I ♥ Kobe

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I <3 Kobe

Oh man. I think I might love Kobe.

Never mind that the Kobe beef is so expensive that my hotel restaurant proudly served Australian steak. Never mind that I didn't realize the ropeway to get to the onsen was closed until I was already on top of the mountain. Never mind I got scary lightheaded in the onsen. Never mind that I nearly missed the last train home. None of this matters.

Because. Kobe has recovered from the Great Hanshin Earthquake of 1995 in spectacular ways (well, except for maybe the Ijinkan which I totally skipped). Kobe has: cable cars and ropeways, a view from a mountain, an herb garden, a harbor, at least two spectacular museums, the requisite covered shopping arcade, a Chinatown, a sake brewing district, a gigantic robot statue, and it's only 40 minutes by train from a lovely onsen town.

...♫these are a few of my favorite things...

Note to past self: you should probably visit the sake breweries last, else you'll end up hauling 3 bottles of sake around with you everywhere you go. Heavy.

Ume
Okonomiyaki
Kobe Chinatown
Kobe Chinatown Lanterns
Egg Custard, WE MEET AGAIN
Kobe's Meriken Park
Earthquake-shaken Lampposts in Kobe Restaurants under train tracks in Kobe
Tetsujin 28
Kitano-cho, Kobe's [reconstructed] Westerner Houses
Kobe from atop Mt Rokko
Train Tracks
Arima Onsen in the evening
Gin No Yu Onsen (Silver Waters)
Arima Onsen

3 comments:

Carolyn Watson-Dubisch said...

Wonderful! Wishing for more photos of the awesome robot however. :)

h said...

If you click the photo it should take you to my Flickr page where you can find more :-)

rooth said...

Oh my, that's one delicious looking egg custard tart