Slowly (Success: Pistachio Cake with Honey Frosting)

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pistachio Cake with Honey Buttercream

Sometimes life is stressful and so I focus energy on using my hands in cooking and baking. It comes with the added benefit of producing something tasty and all the endorphins and goodness that comes from satisfied taste buds. This has been a rough three months. Dissertation proposal writing and the recovery afterwards is no joke. To reward myself in the quiet that comes between submitting document edits I made myself this birthday cake. This complicated pistachio cake with a honey butter cream icing. Ten dollars in crushed pistachios, and a frosting made by boiling cream, sugar, and flour on the stove.

I think, in the end, it is too sweet. So half goes to work, and the other will stay at home to be slowly picked at over the weekend. Slowly, but probably still faster than progress on my dissertation.

Round 1: Z vs. Honey-Pistachio Cake
Pistachio Cake with Honey Buttercream
Pistachio Cake with Honey Buttercream

3 comments:

Alicia | Jaybird said...

Cooking and baking can be so therapeutic! Sometimes when I'm stressed I'll throw myself into a recipe, though other times I can't even fathom the idea of putting together a homemade meal. Too bad that this cake was too sweet. It looks stunning! The process of making it must have been nice even if it wasn't the ideal dessert in the end.

rooth said...

What a lovely cake to gift to yourself and your tummy. Baking always seems to help relieve my stress as well

Annie Smith said...

It is beautiful, even if it was too sweet. :) And I hope your birthday was a success! I can only imagine how intense your world must be right now with writing your dissertation....keep treating yo'self!