How To: Painting a Precision Wall Mural

Sunday, September 5, 2021

The Mural: After!

Over some very toasty summer days, the dog & I took advantage of some air conditioning and painted a mural. I wanted a digitized cow print (for apparent reasons, if you know me), and so I scrounged for crochet/knitting/cross-stitch patterns that I could adapt. I found this Cow Print Pillow from The Crochet Couch, and decided to draw it up in Adobe Illustrator and somehow place it on the wall. Below is how I did it:

  1. Step 1: Remove Things on Walls, Furniture, etc.
    The Wall: Before!

  2. Clean the walls with TSP, rinse walls, and spackle any holes (sanding between layers)
    Removing Wall Shelves + Furniture, Spackling

  3. Test out paint colors (I ended up with Benjamin Moore Sabre Gray, one shade lighter than the Cos Cob Stonewall shown on the right)
    Testing Out Colors

    I don't recall what the left color is, but it's some warm-shaded gray that looked like mud in this room, lol

  4. Tape any edges, put down drop cloth, and cut-in edges with an angled brush
    Taping Edges, Cutting-in, Filling-in with a Roller

  5. Use a projector on a projector stand to put the design on the wall
    Make sure that projector is level, especially if you're going to turn it on its side! We used some mis-printed business cards to get the projector level.
    Using a Projector to Tape Off Mural Design

  6. I opted to tape the design first, as my design is all right-angles (if it wasn't, I might paint the edges while still using the projector)
    Mural Design Taped

  7. Paint inner edges of the tape with the background color, to prevent bleed-through
    Painting Inner Edges of Blobs with the Background Color

  8. Test out colors for the mural design
    I ended up using a custom mix of these two below, two- and one-shade darker than the background color. Mostly the Cos Cob Stonewall sample mixed with the Ashwood Moss (the darkest color on the paint card).
    Trying Out Blob Colors

  9. Fill in the design with the selected color
    Filling in Blobs with Selected Color

  10. Remove tape while paint is still a bit wet, if it pulls off many layers, paint over those areas with the background paint
    Remove Tape, Fill in Ripped Paint with Background Color

  11. Using an angled edging brush, hand-paint any of the damaged areas from the previous step
    The Mural: After!

  12. Done!

0 comments: