Psst. Sandpaper is the Secret...

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

...for the initial fraying of cut-off shorts, I highly recommend a seam ripper (or knife) and some sandpaper.

Step 0: Before, Middle, After
(I don't mean to get on a soapbox here, but capri pants make everyone look shorter and chubbier than they actually are. I mean, I'm 5'11" and they make my legs look like stumps. I am swearing capris off for the summer).

Cut-off shorts don't really require a full tutorial. Let's just say:
  1. Cut the shorts, slightly longer than the desired length.
  2. Rub sandpaper horizontally and vertically along the edge of the cut to fray.
    Step 2: Distress Cut Edge with Sandpaper
  3. Alternate between sandpaper and a seam ripper (or knife) to further fray the edge.
    Step 3: Pick at the Threads More with Seam Ripper
  4. Keep alternating distressors until you're satisfied with the look (it'll only fray more in the wash).
    Step 4: Continue Distressing Edges Until Satisfied
  5. ...and then you're done!

Step 5: Done!

0 comments: