This Happened: Loch Ness Booze Cruize

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Loch Ness Ferry

During a 2007 internship in Scotland, I was on a 3-day backpacker tour of the northwest isles, and ended up in a small town on the edge of Loch Ness. We got on the sonar-equipped ferry, meant for searching the dregs of the loch for the infamous monster. But instead of being surrounded by fleece-wearing, camera-clad tourists, it was locals donning their clubbin' skimpies. One night every month, the Fort Augustus ferry plugs in the Christmas lights and turns up the subwoofer, transforming itself into the Loch Ness booze cruise, a chilly experience complete with live music and views of Urquhart Castle. I love finding stuff while haphazardly stumbling (and believe me, I do a lot of haphazard stumbling).

On the downside, I've never seen the bottom of Loch Ness through sonar ;)

View from the Loch Ness Cruise

0 comments: