How To: Circle Skirts Tutorial

Wednesday, February 15, 2012


As the last post announces, I made some circle skirts for a bunch of friends' performance of a musical. I was able to produce four of these in five hours or so, without too much fuss, and thought I'd share my methods. I'm essentially combining the wisdom from three other circle skirt tutorials (see indietutes, Fickle Sense, and Made). So, yes, tutorials for circle skirts have been done and redone and done again. But I make prettier diagrams (ahem), so there's that.

Anyways, these directions hinge on the fact that you have 2 yards of 55-60" wide fabric (divide the width by 2, and that's the longest skirt you'll be able to get). Of course, if the skirt is a little short, you can compensate with a longer waistband, or follow the tutorial from indietutes on how to make a circle skirt with two half-pieces or see the instructions from Fickle Sense for making a 3/4 circle skirt, and a 1/2 circle skirt (it's really just a change in the hip radius and some fabric-cutting).

Just a warning: these skirts comes out twirly. If you make a full circle skirt, when you spin, the skirt will come out completely horizontally around you. So, unless you intend to give the world a different kind of show, you should maybe keep the ballroom dancing to a minimum ;)



5 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Do you take orders? :)

Dani said...

Great post. Thanks for breaking it down and making circle skirts so easy to make.

Dani @ ONNO Organic Clothing

Nicole said...

I agree with The Blonde Duck. They are gorgeous!

sansuey said...

I just made two circle skirts for my daughter, using your great info. I pinned several tutorials but yours was The One that got us from start to finish! Thank you very much!

h said...

Thanks for stopping by, sansuey!!