...with new pistons, plugs, and shocks...

Sunday, February 12, 2012


That depressed flower there is all that remains of a very silly musical put on by some very silly computer scientists. I know that sounds like a terrible premise, but computer scientists can be high school thespians, too. Although the low-budget low-time-commitment production value really put their abilities under a microscope, I think everyone emerged relatively unscathed, if not better than unscathed.

With J weaseling his way into the part of the second male lead, I volunteered to produce the necessary accent costumes which really only consisted of four circle skirts. Oh, well, circle skirts and some of the stupidest "robot hats" the world has ever seen. Note for others: if you hand me a roll of aluminum foil, cardboard, & duct tape, and then show me inspiration photos from the 1927 movie "Metropolis" the final product will be some of the stupidest hats ever made. This is just how life is.

In an expected twist of fate, I also added "spotlight operator" to my repertoire that night. And as I was busy blinding half the cast for sporadic periods of the two hour show, none of the photographs here are my own, they all belong to various audience and cast members (either Kami or Sven, as it turns out).


As usual, faces have been blurred to protect the innocent from being ridiculed for wearing my robot hats.


A flashy version of the swirly, whirly circle skirt. I had to inform the women that if they spin too quickly we won't be able to allow children into the theater.


Pittsburghers, do you see what I did there?.


Bringing amazing new insights to the field of spotlightery (I make myself laugh).


Do you see? Do you see the reappearance of the yeti leg warmers? A comical accessory.


P.S. Nothing is quite as endearing as watching your boyfriend sing a song about all the ways his new car is going to get him laid.

...and who doesn't enjoy watching a bunch of people in their late 20s pretend to be high schoolers?

11 comments:

Atley said...

so fancy, I have not seen a live performance in years now! It is high time I go!

Stephanie said...

This is something I wish I could see immediately. I love theater!

Alexa said...

Love the theater...such a great way to explore and enjoy creativity.

missris said...

Those are some truly amazing robot hats :)

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness! This sounds like some great entertainment and laughs!

Unknown said...

this sounds like a ridiculously great amount of fun. way to go getting involved! I shined a few spotlights in my day as well, and the costumes are great!

amy b.s. said...

how fun! it sounds like such a great time!

Az said...

Great pics. Looks like it was a lot of fun :)

Elle Sees said...

Ive done spotlight too! I would rather be behind it than in it.

Rosie said...

That sounds like loads of fun! I miss being involved in theater stuff.

SARAH said...

I haven't been to a musical in so long! fancy productions are fun, but a low-budget one would be a blast.