Success: Saurkraut & Vegan Kimchi

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Kimchi and Sauerkraut
It's been awhile since I've fermented any sauerkraut or kimchi. At the start of the social distancing phenomenon, we purchased 9lbs of cabbage, and I went to town shredding.

Sauerkraut, Sauerruben, and kimchi fermenting.
I used my 'pickle pipes' and even used the glass 'pickle stones' I had for regular mouthed mason jars. For the non-mason jars, I just stuck a large cabbage leaf on top, a plate (for the crock), and then a clean bottle full of water. I really packed the shredded cabbage in there as I went, so the liquid easily came up and covered the produce with a bit of a push from the bottles.

Sauerkraut and Bread w Chive Butter
Sauerkraut shown above with the rest of last season's chive butter as the chives are already growing in again!

Bratwurst & Home-fermented Sauerkraut
Sauerkraut and sauerruben recipe from 'Wild Fermentation' by Katz. Vegan Kimchi from Simple Veganista.

I am yet to try to sauerruben (fermented turnips). Everything else came out really nicely. I had left the fermentation crock in the basement for a month, and when I brought it up, it still tasted like salty cabbage! A few days on the counter fixed that, but I was really surprised to see how very well and very long you can preserve cabbage in just a cool room!

1 comments:

rooth said...

Oh yum. Kimchi is my favourite! My aunt grew up in Korea and her homemade kimchi can't be beat