Knitting Infant Hats & Booties

Sunday, April 25, 2021

Homemade knitted baby hats with matching booties

A friend is having a baby, so I've whipped up a couple sets of hats + booties. In all cases, I used Aran-weight Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling yarn in 'Turquoise Heahter' or 'Old Stone'. Yes, it's 100% acrylic, but that means the yarn is more durable and more likely to survive washing. Babies, man.

Gray knitted baby booties

This bootie pattern is Baby Hausschuhe by Ines M. No fancy techniques required, just some circular needles and the ability to pick up some awkward stitches around the sole of the bootie. I didn't bother to block these, but I'm sure they'd look even nicer if I had!

Knitted Gray Booties

In all cases I sized my needles down by 2, as my gauge is always suuuuper loose. This seemed to mostly fix the gauge issue. But I made many sizes of all items anyways, as I'm not sure how big baby feet and heads are. More booties, no big deal. I could put together a bootie in an evening of TV watching.

Knitted Pom Pom Hat for Infant

This Bundle of Joy Hat by Nancy Ekvall is super simple, pretty small, and knits up very quickly. Also, only one or so evenings of TV-watching. I can never seem to get standard pom-poms to not disintegrate instantly. That...does not work for babies. So I used this DIY Cahin Loop Yarn Pom Tutorial from ACrochetedSimplicity. Worked out well, you see. Much sturdier.

Knitted Baby Ear Flap Hat

This second hat was the last item I made, I wasn't sure if I needed another hat (I didn't), but this one was cute, also pretty speedy, and used some of my new short-row skillz I picked up on a different pair of booties that I'll post later. This is the Garter Ear Flap Hat by Purl Soho.

The kitten helps knit

The kitten is a great assistant.

Gray Baby Hat & Booties, Knitted

0 comments: