Harvesting: Asparagus

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Dog likes purple asparagus... Eying the green asparagus
May 24, 2021

Believe it or not, it's been 3 years since I planted the purple asparagus and uncovered the green asparagus, which means that this season was the first time to really harvest the asparagus! I still didn't pull too many, as I still wanted to ensure there were enough stalks to fern out and gather energy for next year's crop. But I got a nice, small sampling of fresh asparagus to eat in the garden this year. Hopefully even more next year!

Purple Asparagus Coming In
May 24, 2021

Asparagus grows out of the ground looking just like the stuff you buy in the grocery store. I only pick stalks that are wider than a pencil, and I wait until they get a good length. And then I eat it right there in the garden (or the dog does, she likes veggies).

Purple Asparagus Coming In
May 23, 2021

Some of the asparagus that came in this year was quite large! The more you pick, the thinner the stalks become. Once they get thinner than a pencil, it's best to let them grow out into the 6' tall ferns, like I did with the purple and green asparagus patches below. Asparagus is one of the few perennial vegetables in my region, and once it gets going, it's very low maintence!

Purple Asparagus ferns
July 21, 2021
Green asparagus ferns
September 10, 2021

1 comments:

rainmelon said...

Really living up to the name of the blog with all the vegetable posts =).

Pixel, as always, is a star.