My First Backpacking Experience

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail Trees

This past weekend I tagged along on a weekend backpacking trip along the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail (LHHT) an hour's drive outside of Pittsburgh.
My Backpack Mushrooms, Everywhere Tree Atop a Rock

Friday, we parked at the Rte 30 parking lot, and spent the first night at the Rte 30 shelters. The next morning we backtracked a bit and dropped the tent off at the car and hiked South, miles ~46-38, to the Turnpike shelters. We had lunch on the trail, and stopped awhile at Beam Rocks, completing the 8 miles in about 8 hours. Saturday night we stayed in a shelter from where we could witness giant rain storms and even heard a rather loud tree falling in the morning. We slept-in Sunday morning, waiting out the rain, and finally headed back North completing miles 38-46 in about 5.5 hours.
The Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail, miles 46-38

For this trip, I borrowed a backpack and loaded it up with 15 lbs worth of stuff. If I were to do it again I'd need a different pair of shoes and a backpack better fitted to me, but otherwise I'm no worse for wear. We saw so many varieties of mushrooms and a bunch of mini-forest-ecosystems, it was pretty awesome.
Foggy Morning from the Shelter Filtering Water Sunshine Destiny

Have you ever gone backpacking? Would you?
Beam Rocks Morning from the Tent at the Rte 30 Shelter Area

Gnarly Tree Blurry Evergreen

3 comments:

Kris said...

I love backpacking! I have not gone on a trip in a while though.

h said...

Haha, yeah, I remember back in undergrad you wanted to get people to go camping, but no one ever really volunteered.

I've done more camping in the past two months than I have in the past seven years. Haha.

Anonymous said...

ewww! pump your water from a fast moving stream, there will be less bacteria entering your filter...