Fix Scratches in Hardwood Floors

Sunday, June 26, 2011

If you're like me and have angry chairs that reject all felt pads, preferring instead to stab your hardwood floors, then this may come in handy:

  1. Sand the scratch, with the grain of the wood.
  2. Clean up sanding dust with some mineral spirits.
  3. (Optional) If the scratch is really deep into the wood, you're going to need to apply some wood filler in a shade that matches the floor.
  4. Coat scratch in a clear protectant such as polycrylic.
  5. Let dry and you'll have scratch-free floors again.

I have officially learned this lesson one bajillion times. We won't even talk about how I thought it was a good idea to spray paint a craft project indoors.

Oh, and a Disclaimer: no blaming me if this does more damage to your floors than before. This method has worked wonders for my floors, but may not do the same on all types.

4 comments:

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Haha, spray paint inside...sounds like something I would have done and not thought twice about. Good to know you can get that so easily out of the floors! I will keep that tip in the back of my mind :)

Kaylia Payne said...

Oh man, what I wouldn't give for hardwood floors to fix!!

cailen ascher said...

great tip! my hardwood floors could definitely use a bit of tlc : )

cute blog - i'm your newest follower
cheers!
cailen

www.cailenascher.blogspot.com

Tony Beebe said...

Having a scratch on your hardwood floor is really frustrating, since removing them is hard, if you don't know what to do. But with this solution, I guess scratches have finally met their match.