How To: Make Turkish Tea

Friday, July 1, 2011

During a semester abroad, I drank so much black Turkish tea (çay), I had to give up sugar cubes. I love the smell of the leaves warming up, the way the glasses are weighted at the bottom, and how terribly I can overdose on caffeine with a pot of this brewing all day.

Here, I show you how I make Turkish tea, although nowadays I allow myself some sugar :)

Cradling the Turkish Tea Glass
A nice mahogany color.

Alright, folks, let me introduce you to a Turkish teapot (çaydanlık). This contraption is two tea pots that stack on top of each other. You keep plain water boiling in the bottom pot, and a dense black tea mixture warming in the upper teapot (this prevents scalding the tea leaves). You replenish the bottom with water and the top with tea/water as you drink, thereby giving you hot Turkish tea all day. This setup also allows you to determine how strong your tea will be, by adding more or less water.

Turkish Tea PotSeparated Turkish Tea Pot
Together.
Apart.

How To Brew Turkish Tea
  1. Fill the bottom pot about half-full with water. Set it on the stove at a medium heat.
  2. Scoop two spoonfuls of loose Turkish tea (alternatively you could use black tea bags) into the top pot, and pour in just enough water to moisten the leaves. Place this smaller pot ontop of the large pot on the stove, with the lid.
  3. When the water in the bottom pot begins to boil, reduce the heat to low, then add enough water to the top teapot to cover the tea leaves. Then add a little more water.
  4. Wait 7-10 minutes, or until the tea leaves sink to the bottom of the pot. Then pour the dense tea mixture into your tea glass until it is about 1/3 full.
  5. Fill the remainder of the glass with plain water from the bottom teapot. The tea should have a mahogany color, but if you like it darker/lighter, go for it!
  6. Return the pots to simmer on the stove, replenishing each with water as needed.

Concentrated Turkish Tea, Before Water Dilution
Mmmm, black tea concentrate.

That's it, you're done! Add some sugar if you like, and enjoy.

You don't have to enjoy Turkish tea in a curvy Turkish tea glass, but I think it makes the tea taste better ;)

Turkish Tea in a Turkish Tea Glass Water Boiling in Lower Tea Pot
Turkish Tea Holding a Hot Turkish Tea Cup
Turkish Tea Grounds In goes the sugar!

13 comments:

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

I went to turkey last summer and tried turkish tea and it was so incredible! :) You make it look so easy to brew the tea.

h said...

Dude, it is easy. You just need that goofy çaydanlık. Although, there might be a way to improvise it...

{ T G L } said...

Wow! What a great blog and what a tutorial! I *have* to try that as an avid tea-lover. I'll be following you!

Blessings,
This Good Life

Anonymous said...

I love tea! Never tried turkish tea, I'm a chai addict. Especially in winter. Now it's cold mint tea all the time.

p.s.
the dog didn't harm the baby squirrell, he just wanted to play with it, otherwise I wouldn't have post those pictures! I was in awe for mommy squirrell's courage.

A Cup of Sparkle said...

Nice Work! I am Turkish actually and love turkish tea, make it all the time and drink it without sugar.. I don't use sugar in my coffee, too actually.

acupofsparkle.blogspot.com

A Lost Feather said...

i've never had turkish tea.. but i think i'm sold hehe.. the glasses are beautiful! i got hooked on mate.. a tea from argentina.. after my cousin brought some back from her trip.. i think the main reason for my obsession is because you drink it out of a mate gourd with a special straw (bambilla) so fun

and WOW. your trip to yosemite is going to be AHHHMAZING. i'm excited for you! i'm sure it will be tough, but totally worth it :) i would have loved to do some backpacking, but my bf and i aren't quite experienced enough in that department to take it on alone in yosemite. maybe one day :D

Unknown said...

Great photos, that cup is so cute!

Miss B. said...

I want to make pot right now!

tinajo said...

Seems great - both the ritual and the taste! I have to try one day! :-)

Tafadzwa Proter said...

I work at a guest house and it happened that we had Turkish guest and WOW their tea is the best

turkish cay said...

you explain very well dudee i like it

Anonymous said...

Очень просто. Обычный русский самовар, желательно на углях, а сверху ставится заварной чайник как и у турок. Только ёмкости гораздо больше от широкой русской души.

Akterja said...

Thank