Success: Mushroom Bourguignon

Sunday, December 18, 2011


One of the stipulations of my annual dinner party, is that the food needs to be vegetarian. It's just easier to meet everyone's dietary restrictions this way. This is only a slight challenge, as it's easy to find vegetarian side dishes, but hearty vegetarian entrees are just ever so slightly more scarce. I found a good focus piece in SmittenKitchen's Mushroom Bourguignon. It's a medium effort dish, that only takes an hour to put together, unlike most beef bourguignons that require hours of simmering.

The large mushroom slices are a little slippery on the fork, but once you finally manage to get them in your mouth, it's decently tasty. Overall, I wasn't totally in love with it, so I likely won't be making mushroom bourguignon again. Although, it does make some kickass leftovers.

3 comments:

S.I.F. said...

Mmmmmm! That looks ah-mazing! But I am a pretty big fan of mushrooms!!

Stephanie said...

I am a sucker for anything with mushrooms, so I just may have to give this one a try.

My husband and I have found that lentils make a great substitute for meat in a lot of dishes. He's made vegetarian shepherd's pie and vegetarian meatloaf (lentil-loaf?) that both turned out absolutely amazing.

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness, my husband would LOVE this!