2014 Conference Season

Sunday, February 16, 2014

I tried to find an iconic image for Bielefeld, Germany as I have for past conference seasons. But Bielefeld seems to be so middle of nowhere (read: destroyed by WWII), that there's nothing really it's known for. It's also a 1.5 hour train ride from the nearest international airport in Hanover.

So, I'll be in middle of nowhere Germany in March. In Bielefeld. Headquarters of Dr. Oetker. I gave myself 2 spare days to relax at the end of this work trip. Although, I suspect I'll be spending that time in cafes, reading, eating sausage, and drinking beer by myself. What can possibly go wrong?!

For a brief moment, I was afraid of being in middle-of-nowhere Germany where the English-speaking will be at a minimum. And then I remembered that I lived in Japan without speaking Japanese for 13 weeks. I can probably handle 3 days. So could you. Spoken words are useful, but not necessary.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

beer is pronounced the same in german and english ;)

missris said...

I think as long as you know how to say "beer" and "thank you" you'll be golden.

Nicole said...

Ooooo, I'm excited to see the inevitably fantastic pictures that I know you'll take of Germany. As is usually the case, I'm sure I'll love your photos while also stewing with jealousy.

Anonymous said...

I have cousins who grew up in Germany and the assistant manager at my work is a trained German teacher so I probably wouldn't freak out too much.

Anonymous said...

by the way, it's bier and danke. LOL!