Success: Homemade Vegetable Stock

Sunday, December 2, 2018

Vegetable Peelings for Making Broth!
Back when I was cooking up a storm with my CSA squashes, I made two soups in one day. And then immediately turned the veggie scraps into vegetable broth by covering with water and simmering for an hour.

I essentially followed these instructions from TheKitchn while loosely following JennifersKitchen suggestions for what veggies to leave out of stock. I saw conflicting reports of potatos in veggie broth, so I used some but limited it. Threw in a small handful of green pepper. Probably more squash skins than is typical (but that was autumn CSA!), but when I used this homemade broth as a base for butternut squash corn chili the flavor profile was perfectly fine. 'Might be more of an issue for a more broth-y, nuanced soup.

CSA Vegetables for making soup!

0 comments: