Success: Classic Jammer Cookies

Sunday, May 15, 2022

Classic Jammer Cookies

These Classic Jammer Cookies from Dorie Greenspan/TheKitchn took me ALL DAY. Very good, but very complicated. I was in the mood for a jam cookie and so a jam cookie I made. A very complicated one.

Classic Jammer Cookies

A vanilla sable dough that needed chilling. A streusel topping that also needed chilling. Making my own 2" circle cookie cutter from a plastic jar (need to remove the bottom). Rolling out and cookie-cutting of circles. Placement in a muffin tin. Dollops of homemade jam. Fussing the streusal topping around the jam. Easily over-browned. An oven that was 50-degrees too hot (WHY?!). etc. etc. But we got there in the end. Deliciousness. Even the over-browned ones. Still very good.

Classic Jammer Cookies

The homemade jams were not a 100% necessary piece, but they were what I had on hand. I went a little generous with the 1/2 tsp jam dollops, and so used up a quarter pint of honey strawberry butter, a quarter pint of honey-sweetened raspberry preserves, and almost a half pint of blueberry maple jam. The rest of the blueberry jam was eaten with yogurt and topped with leftover streudal topping, yum.

Classic Jammer Cookies

I think the strawberries are my favorite, but the blueberries came out the best because I finally perfected my technique - cover all exposed cookie with streusal, and be very very careful not to over bake. Cut total baking time by 2-3 minutes, and triple check that oven is at the correct temperature!

[Almost] All the Classic Jammer Cookies

If a recipe is going to be a pain and take all day, at least it leaves me with plenty o' cookies. I might make again, if I'm in the mood for an ambitious baking project...

0 comments: