Spinning: The Txoatile Drop Spindle

Sunday, April 2, 2023

When learning to handspin yarn, I sort of skipped right over drop spindles and into spinning wheels. And honestly, I'm very glad I made that decision! Spinning Wheels are faster, and it's a little easier to develop the muscle memory for drafting the fibers.

Using a Basque Spindle / Txoatile Using a Basque Spindle / Txoatile

But now I've decided to dabble a bit with drop spindles. Much simpler, much cheaper, but essentially the same outcome. I've started with this Txoatile or Basque Spindle from etsy/MuddyDuckWorkshop which is very niche, but one of my guild members told me it just spins and spins. So I jumped right in!

I like this video from Spinning Shadows Fiber Arts for figuring out how to start and actually spin. And this video from Sarah Dunham-Miliotis is great for learning how to wind onto the Basque spindle to make a center pull ball. The Internet is a fantastic information source, who knew?!

0 comments: