A Very Merry Yeti Halloween Costume

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Behold, the homemade Yeti Halloween costume in its entirety! You'll notice it's a bit of an un-costume (yes, I am aware of all the issues related to women's objectifying Halloween costumes. But a revealing yeti was too irresistible). I like to believe that the dichotomy of the two concepts will make others think about the ridiculousness of expecting women to dress up as barely-clad-whatevers, but in reality I'm guessing everyone's brain function will be too inhibited for thought.

Homemade Yeti Halloween Costume Pieces

There are tutorials around for each of the yeti Halloween costume pieces: BYOV's How To: Yeti Hat, Costume Goddess' How To Cover a Costume Bra, BYOV's Faux Fur Fingerless Mitts DIY, BYOV's Simple Elastic-Waist Skirt Tutorial, and BYOV's How To Make Furry Leg Warmers.

If you wanted a more conservative costume, you could swap out the faux fur covered costume bra for a Faux Fur Vest...and then wear a shirt and some running tights under all the faux fur. You'll be nice and covered and warm.

Spare Yeti Hat for Halloween

I also ended up making a spare yeti hat from pattern Simplicity 2853 (the gorilla hat). I prefer the toothy-grinned hat, for its additional goofy character, but this gorilla-inspired one is also really cute with the ears. And both keep my head nice and warm.

Yeti Halloween Costume Top

Now, please excuse me. I must go attend a Halloween costume in the snow.

Yeti Costume
  1. BYOV's How To: Yeti Hat or Simplicity pattern 2853 (gorilla hat)
  2. BYOV's No Sew Fur Vest or Costume Goddess' How To Cover a Costume Bra (with faux fur)
  3. BYOV's Simple Elastic-Waist Skirt Tutorial (faux fur + lined with blue cotton fabric with pockets in the lining hem)
  4. BYOV's How To Make Furry Leg Warmers
  5. BYOV's Faux Fur Fingerless Mitts DIY

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Brrrr! And...Awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

that's SUCH a cool costume.

Elle said...

Great costume! I wish I could actually plan ahead more for Halloween...

h said...

Thanks, guys! That was the first (and the last) time I was wearing the least amount of clothing at a party, hahaha.

This costume, despite the skimpiness, totally rocked.

Jamie said...

Have a great time, you created a masterpiece

Rosie said...

That is awesome! I love the colour of fur you used.

Kris said...

Ha ha! I love it!

Stephanie said...

That's such a fun costume! Even if it does fall into the category of "sexy fill-in-the-blank." ;-)

Vanisha @ Vanisha's Life In...Australia said...

Oh my goodness this is so awesome! Happy Halloween!

Tiffany Kadani said...

That's crazy! I'd definitely go with the warmer version. Glad to hear it rocked!

Ashley Hawkes said...

Pictures!!!!!! LOVE the costume idea!

nancy said...

BEST. COSTUME. EVER! I'm so impressed! I hope you had a lovely time as a sexy yeti :)

P.S - thank you very much for the kind compliment on my blog :)

Sara said...

That is the most awesome costume I've ever seen! Great job!!

Kaylia Payne said...

I love your costume! and I say go as whatever you feel like, whether it's a sexy yeti or a Dalek :p

Kira said...

This costume is amazing.

Melissa at bubbyandbean.com said...

This is brilliant. Seriously.

xo,
melissa

gaia said...

Oh man this is AWESOME. (Also I noticed I'm coveting your shoes in the how-to shots.)

Nicole said...

That really is a great costume! Kudos to you :)

amy b.s. said...

okay, this is pretty funny!

A Lost Feather said...

haha that costume is hilarioussss
nice job! i think i want to be something more crazy next year.. like not human..i've been all boring human things the last few years.. cowgirls, witches.. i want to be like, a giraffe. haha