Sunday, October 30, 2011
Behold, the homemade Yeti Halloween costume in its entirety! You'll notice it's a bit of an un-costume (yes, I am aware of all the issues related to women's objectifying Halloween costumes. But a revealing yeti was too irresistible). I like to believe that the dichotomy of the two concepts will make others think about the ridiculousness of expecting women to dress up as barely-clad-whatevers, but in reality I'm guessing everyone's brain function will be too inhibited for thought.
There are tutorials around for each of the yeti Halloween costume pieces: BYOV's How To: Yeti Hat, Costume Goddess' How To Cover a Costume Bra, BYOV's Faux Fur Fingerless Mitts DIY, BYOV's Simple Elastic-Waist Skirt Tutorial, and BYOV's How To Make Furry Leg Warmers.
If you wanted a more conservative costume, you could swap out the faux fur covered costume bra for a Faux Fur Vest...and then wear a shirt and some running tights under all the faux fur. You'll be nice and covered and warm.
I also ended up making a spare yeti hat from pattern Simplicity 2853 (the gorilla hat). I prefer the toothy-grinned hat, for its additional goofy character, but this gorilla-inspired one is also really cute with the ears. And both keep my head nice and warm.
Now, please excuse me. I must go attend a Halloween costume in the snow.
- BYOV's How To: Yeti Hat or Simplicity pattern 2853 (gorilla hat)
- BYOV's No Sew Fur Vest or Costume Goddess' How To Cover a Costume Bra (with faux fur)
- BYOV's Simple Elastic-Waist Skirt Tutorial (faux fur + lined with blue cotton fabric with pockets in the lining hem)
- BYOV's How To Make Furry Leg Warmers
- BYOV's Faux Fur Fingerless Mitts DIY