Friday, October 28, 2011
This isn't a true tutorial, since the first step involves purchasing Simplicity Pattern 1953 (Women & Girls' animal hat pattern), but I thought the world might appreciate my custom yeti face pieces for constructing a yeti hat. Ya know, for when you need a main feature for your Halloween costume.
Above is a photo of Simplicity pattern 1953. Since we're using faux fur that doesn't stretch as much as the fleece that the pattern calls for, the largest sized hat must be used. If you have a larger head, you'll need to hand draft a larger version of the hat. I followed view 'B' (the owl hat) with view 'F's (the frog) short yarn tassels, but instead of cutting out owl pieces, I took some felt and made yeti pieces, below:
After following the pattern directions and you've constructed the outer, faux fur hat piece, it is time to make the felt face pieces.
- Attach the black felt pupils to the white eye pieces, and then attach that to the blue eye area. You can either hand sew or hot glue, your choice.
- Now, attach the entire eye area to the center front of the outside of the hat (similar to where the owl eye area would be located). Make sure the bottom of the blue eye area is at least one inch from the edge.
- Construct the rest of the hat with lining and ear ties as instructed in the Simplicity pattern directions.
- Construct the teeth by attaching the 6 teeth pieces to the blue gum rectangle, as marked on the pattern.
- Attach the white teeth backing to the back of the gums, to reinforce the teeth pieces.
- With the teeth completed, you should now attach them to the hat brim. Pin the teeth to the lining of the hat, centered and in the front. Make sure to position them in a visually appealing way, this isn't an exact science.
- Sew the teeth in place where you pinned them, and you're done!
Along with the faux fur leg warmers and fingerless mitt paws, we're beginning to have a real Halloween costume here.
Sexy Yeti Hat...ANGRY
- BYOV's How To: Yeti Hat or Simplicity pattern 2853 (gorilla hat)
- BYOV's No Sew Fur Vest or Costume Goddess' How To Cover a Costume Bra (with faux fur)
- BYOV's Simple Elastic-Waist Skirt Tutorial (faux fur + lined with blue cotton fabric with pockets in the lining hem)
- BYOV's How To Make Furry Leg Warmers
- BYOV's Faux Fur Fingerless Mitts DIY