Success: Butter Roux Icing (aka HOLY ICING, BATMAN!)

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I have a confession to make. I've been eating a piece of chocolate cake with each of my meals since Monday. Don't be alarmed, there wasn't any icing on it (that makes it good for me, right?!). There wasn't any icing on it, until now.

Butter Roux Icing on a Dark Chocolate Cake

The inspiration came from one of my favorite crafting blogs, Posie Gets Cozy, but I made the cake direct from a Hershey's Deep Dark Chocolate Cake recipe and the icing from Our Best Bites Perfect Cupcake Icing. I think I added a dash of almond extract in there, but I probably won't do that again.

Butter Roux Icing

It's technically a 'butter roux' icing that is made in the South to go on red velvet cakes. Neither of these conditions are met in this particular case, but it works. It works really well. This icing is pretty amazing. Light, and not too sweet. The cake is the same way. Plus I got to learn some cool things about acidity, cocoa powder, and leavening.

Butter Roux Icing on a Dark Chocolate Cake

The cake needed to be dressed up with some icing before donating half (along with half a quiche) to the cause of filling my friends' bellies, or else risk over-fattening my own. This is the second week in a row that I made a quiche. Need I say more?

0 comments: