Semi-Success: Sourdough Waffles

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sourdough Waffles

These sourdough waffles from King Arthur Flour are delightful. Soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside, with the slightest bit of sourdough tang at the end. I'm not really a humongous fan of anything that requires buttermilk, as I'm just not one of those people who happens to have it on hand. So these waffles are more of a special occasion recipe.

That, and they make terrible leftovers. Seriously. Only make as much batter as you're going to use, because the leftover waffles turn into rocks overnight.

Sourdough Waffles

8 comments:

Corin said...

I never have buttermilk around, so on the rare occasion that I need it for a recipe, I use a substitution I found years ago: add a splash of white vinegar to regular milk, wait a few minutes, and it turns into buttermilk. It totally works!

Corin said...

Also, I am really craving waffles now. :)

h said...

Ah, Corin, you're right! I totally forgot about the milk+vinegar trick!

My Garden Diaries said...

They look outstanding!!! I think the sourdough coupled with maple syrup must be lovely! I think I ought to make them for the beans!!!

Unknown said...

Yum!! Now I want waffles!

Alicia / Jaybird said...

Sourdough in general doesn't seem to save too well. But those waffles look delicious! I use the homemade buttermilk trick too by mixing milk and lemon juice (similar to Corin's combo above).

rooth said...

Is it weird that I'm a plain waffle-nothing on top kind of gal?

Anonymous said...

My Mom uses a substitute for buttermilk when she makes anything that requires buttermilk.

All you need is lemon juice and regular milk and it's one tablespoon per cup of milk. The vinegar trick works fine too, I'm fairly certain it's the same measurement per cup.