Harvesting: Shishito Peppers

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Shishito Peppers
One little shishito pepper plant from a friend has been producing a nice little quantity of these green gems in fits and starts.

Lettuce, Kale, Peppers Garden Bed
This year they have a nice spot in the garden, front and center next to an Italian eggplant where they can absorb all the sunshine. I did prune my pepper plants early in the season to encourage bushier growth, and I even picked off a few of the earliest flowers to appear after transplanting to encourage further root growth. They have been fussy though. After transplanting their growth was rather weak and they were pretty yellow. I cleared the mulch away from their roots so they could better dry out and started adding occasional organic fertilizer and compost. Throughout the season when they seem to stop setting fruit, I add a bit more compost and organic fertilizer, and this seems to encourage a new wave of growth. Hopefully it continues!

Shishito Pepper Plant Mystery Pepper Plant
After some growth, I've realized that my second pepper plant must be a different kind of pepper. Different shaped fruit! Ah, the joys of donated seedlings. Surprises are fun!

Italian Sausage + Garden Veggie Stir Fry
Shishito peppers are good in a stir fry. This particular rendition also includes patty pan squash, an eggplant, and onions all from the garden. Once my second batch comes in (they seem to come in waves) , I'd like to try blistered shishito peppers.

0 comments: