Harvesting: Kale

Sunday, September 6, 2020

Different kales being grown

A review of harvesting kale. The kale's been in use as a salad green, essentially as soon as it started growing multiple leaves. It's nice to have some on hand to toss into pesto or another dish, as needed. I think we even once tossed some sturdier bits into a stir fry. Whatever works!

Lettuce, Kale, Peppers Garden Bed
August 20, 2020

I'm not 100% certain of the varieties I'm growing here, as most of the 'green curly' and the 1 lacinato came from a seedling swap with a friend. The rest came from a Hart's Seeds kale mix. One purple, flatter kale, and another of the same, but in green. Likely Russian kales. The lacinato was shaded out by the bean plants, which I should have known better. The rest of the kale...well, the green curly did so well it sorta shaded out the other two varieties. I tried to frequently harvest the leaves that shade others out, but it was an ongoing battle. Just too many plants!

Lettuce, Kale, Peppers Garden Bed
June 1, 2020

The flea beetles didn't get these kale much at all, but they're also in a different bed from the rest of my leafy greens. Cabbage moths, like the caterpillers below are what typically finish off my kale in late summer:

Cabbage Worms on the Kohlrabi

0 comments: