My Third Fleece! A Gray Romney/Corriedale/Rambouillet

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Gray Fleece - Romney/Corriedale/Rambouillet X wool Sorting the fleece for washing

In going to the largest sheep/wool/yarn festival, Rhinebeck, back in Octover, I knew I wanted another naturally colored fine sheep fleece. We arrived mid-afternoon on the first day, so the options weren't thatttttt great, but I did bring home this 5 lb Gray Fleece - Romney/Corriedale/Rambouillet X wool for ~$40. That's quite cheap, so, yes, another project fleece! Mostly, there was a break in the fleece near the cut end, which means I'll have to trim the weak bits off of each lock. But there's something endearing about a project fleece...feels like rescuing something abandoned.

Cleaning the Gray Fleece with Unicorn Power Scour Drying the Cleaned Fleece

Having already used some of this fleece for the dog yarn, I will say there's also quite a bit of fine vegetable matter. It seems to mostly come out in processing!

P.S. I highly recommend Sheepspot's Episode 31 on Successful Fleece Sale Shopping!

0 comments: