How To: Faux Fur Fingerless Mitts

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Furry Halloween Fingerless Mitts

Ah, Halloween. The season for buying zombie make up and assembling costumes from the closet. Not this year! This year I'm working on something. Something that involves furry, fingerless mitts. Here's the general instructions for making yourself a pair.

Fingerless Mitts: Thumbhole/Side View
Thumbhole Close Up


Materials
You'll need approximately ~1/4 yard of fabric, depending on how big you plan to make your mitts.
Note: If your knuckles are wider than 3.5" across, you'll need to modify the pattern to be wider.
Some felt scraps in a contrasting color, if you plan to include the paw prints.
Sewing needle, thread, scissors, etc.

The instructions/pattern is below, but you may wish to download the original size.
Oh, and as always with faux fur, remember to pull the longer hairs out of the seams with a pin when you're done! This will hide the seams a bit.


If you plan to incorporate the felt paw prints in the palms, as I did, you'll need the following optional step 3.5 as well:



I also lined my mitts with some spare, blue broadcloth, but this is totally optional and not included in the instructions. Faux fur can be harsh on the skin.

Furry Halloween Fingerless Mitts

Yeti Costume
  1. BYOV's How To: Yeti Hat or Simplicity pattern 2853 (gorilla hat)
  2. BYOV's No Sew Fur Vest or Costume Goddess' How To Cover a Costume Bra (with faux fur)
  3. BYOV's Simple Elastic-Waist Skirt Tutorial (faux fur + lined with blue cotton fabric with pockets in the lining hem)
  4. BYOV's How To Make Furry Leg Warmers
  5. BYOV's Faux Fur Fingerless Mitts DIY

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you thank you! MyGirl is being a lion this year and of course I'm making the costume..but I hadn't thought of paws...AWESOME!!

Rosie said...

Those are awesome! I might make a pair out of a less furry fabric just to wear as clothing.

A Cup of Sparkle said...

I love these!!!! SO CUTE!

acupofsparkle@blogspot.com

Vanisha @ Vanisha's Life In...Australia said...

So cute!

Gaia said...

These look my dog's paws. Who is adorable btw, so kudos!

Kira said...

These are fun!

I love the name Iris by the way. It's my daughter's middle name!

Kindra said...

These are so great!

nancy said...

this is absolutely adorable! I haven't quite figured out what to wear for halloween yet - thank you for your idea!!

amy b.s. said...

how fun are those!

A Lost Feather said...

oh my gosh haha,. i loveeee the little paw prints on them, so sweet.