Good Girl Scout

Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Girl Scouts have changed a bit since I was a member, ~8 years ago (don't get me started on the uniforms). Although to be honest, I'm a Lifetime Member, so technically I never left.

Girl Scout Gold Award Necklace
My well-loved Girl Scout Gold Award, in necklace form (it's typically a pin).

The Gold Award pictured above is a symbol of a bunch of work, most of which happened so long ago I can't remember it. The gold trefoil is the equivalent of the Boy Scout Eagle Scout Award with which most people seem to be more familiar. Girl Scouts was some of my first experiences with the outdoors, setting up tents, interacting with strangers, riding horses, being a camp counselor. We spent lots of time in New Jersey's pine barrens, but also managed to travel to Savannah Georgia (the birthplace of Girl Scouts), Long Beach California for the national convention, and Assateague Island for some windy beach camping. Some very windy beach camping.

I took to the woods as a kid, but my family wasn't particularly outdoorsy, so this interest lay dormant until recently. It's interesting to lose a childhood hobby, only to pick it up again 10 years later.

3 comments:

Tiffany Kadani said...

Thank you for your flikr link! My goodness, I am just pouring over these Scotland photos like crazy. I definitely needed this!

h said...

I'm glad you liked them! I had a wonderful time in Scotland, hopefully you will too :)

Unknown said...

I'm a lifetime member as well, crazy! My first camping trip for the summer is memorial day weekend and it can't come soon enough!