Shan'tpoo

Friday, May 13, 2011

I've given up on shampoo and conditioner. It's called the "No 'Poo" movement, but I've determined that "Shan'tpoo" is more clever.

braids
This is pre-Shan'tpoo hair, but it is exactly how I've been wearing my hair for the past two weeks, along with a headband because my bangs are rebelling.

"No 'Poo" involves a week-long phase of baking soda and apple cider vinegar washes (which I totally skipped), and then a multi-week detox phase of water-only rinsing. After weathering weeks of hair texture funkiness, you only have to wash with diluted baking soda and ACV once a week or so...for the rest of eternity! You can read about some of the politics here: sulfates are skin irritants, your hair can take care of itself, saves money/time/environment, etc. The process that I'm following can be found on The Hairpin.

I'm not sure I believe all the claims (there's a lot of anecdotal evidence, especially for curly hair), but summer seems a perfect time for some empirical research. I can't tell you how awesome this should be for traveling in Thailand and backpacking in Yosemite this summer, if it works. Hopefully this whole process will end in softer, less greasy hair.

Current Status: Day 14. Somewhere between soft and somewhat noticeably greasy.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

There goes the lime green hair image I had of you! Cute hair, and great idea.

Anonymous said...

If I ever wanted to try this, I would have to do it in summer. It will be great for backpacking!

Allison

Victoria said...

Keep us updated on how it goes! I've considered trying this myself, but I haven't been brave enough yet.

h said...

It's not so bad, if you don't mind wearing your hair in braids everyday for weeks...which is pretty much what I do during the summer anyways.

Holly said...

I'm really interested to read about how you get on with this because I've also had this method recommended to me before.

My hair is super curly and used to be very long, and I read in a book that women with curly hair should never use shampoo because it stops it holding a curl nicely.

I tried it a couple of times but always got put off continuing with it because I can't stand feeling like my hair is dirty!

SJ said...

i've thought about doing this many times but i don't think it's going to happen. since i dye my hair blonde, washing it regularly means that it's less obvious when the dark roots start showing. as soon as it gets dirty it's NOT a pretty sight!

Jillian said...

I've been hearing about this a lot lately! While I'm not sure if I would ever do this, it sounds intriguing. I like the fact that it's a much cheaper option than constantly buying shampoo and conditioner!

Brandi said...

I love love LOVE your variation on the name. It's perfect. I totally believe in the politics and saving water. And though I'm a bit reluctant to try it (I'm very obsessed with cleanliness), I think I will. For now, I'll start with just shampooing less. Then I'll move into the full stages.

Jo said...

Wow...I can't even imagine! This sounds pretty amazing! I can't wait to read about your "Shan'tpoo" progress!

Rizie said...

I did the process a few years back. But I've been using an apple cider vinegar rinse for about 5 months now..it definitely helps my normally dry scalp