日本: Miso Soup

Monday, February 4, 2013

Miso Soup

I eat a lot of miso soup around here. It's quick and easy, and making variations is not hard at all. The Japanese Food Report blog has been a great help, especially the inspirational list of miso soup variations and the post with photos of the basic ingredients. Of course, even with the photos I accidentally bought both instant miso soup packets and a container of miso, but upon a second visit to the grocery store I was able to find dashi packets. Although, making your own dashi is apparently quite simple as well.

I did have to invest in a saucepan for this adventure, though.

I had not known that miso soup has a fish base. Seeing as seafood make me a bit nauseous, I start off with a really diluted "dashi" that still makes the whole kitchen reek of fish. But adding the miso hides the fish flavor. Miso is apparently full of all kinds of beneficial micro-organisms, so you're supposed to add it right before removing the soup from heat. Don't wanna burn out all those delicious little Tetragenococcus halophilus!

Miso Soup Ingredients
Miso Soup
Dashi Pack Boiling
Instant Miso, Variety Pack
Instant miso variety pack, for when you just don't even want to turn on the stove.

3 comments:

Jillian said...

Looks really yummy. I love miso soup. Anytime I'm at a Japanese restaurant, I always order it. It's always so cheap too, which I love.

Deidre said...

I'm supposed to eat Miso -but I always forget!

rooth said...

I bet the miso soup there is SO much better than here