Recipe: Mom's Corned Beef with Cabbage and Potatoes

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Slow Cooker Corned Beef

Corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes happens to be my favorite meal. Of course, it's loaded with salt and nitrites (nitrates? who knows) so it's not exactly something to eat on a regular basis. Often restricted to St. Patrick's Day, corned beef is actually sold in the grocery stores year-round. And I haven't had any in years. So why not make some tonight?

I didn't actually follow my mother's recipe for this corned beef with cabbage and potatoes. Instead, I followed FoodNetwork's Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage, because I felt like trying the slow cooker approach. Although, technically, the slow cooker approach could also be part of mom's recipe, depending on what your corned beef packaging says ;)

Mom's Corned Beef and Cabbage
Potatoes, (Yukon Gold) quartered, enough for everyone
Half a head of cabbage, cut into wedges
1/2 Bag baby carrots
4lb Corned beef with spice packet
  1. Cook corned beef in water with spices, as per directions on the package.
  2. Add potatoes ~1 hour before the meat is done.
  3. Add carrots and cabbage ~30 minutes before meat is done.

It just so happens that my slow cooker can barely hold a 3lb corned beef, much less potatoes, cabbage, and 4lb beef. So I halved my potatoes, and placed them under the corned beef in my CrockPot, as per the FoodNetwork. And then I simmered my wedges of cabbage in ~2 cups of the meat juices for ~10 minutes after the meat was fully cooked.

Slow Cooker Corned Beef

This meal should definitely be served with Mom's Irish Soda Bread, here!

1 comments:

rooth said...

Yum yum yum, this is one of those comfort food meals that I wish I grew up with