Sea Glass Mosaic

Sunday, November 3, 2019

On our southern Spain trip, I'd collect sea glass on the beach. I'd never seen so much, and I picked up every piece I could find! When we returned, I cleaned it all and placed them in a giant mason jar, where it promptly sat for 4 years. But when brainstorming for the downstairs bathroom, I finally figured out what to do. And so here we are with a sea glass mosaic.

Finished Sea Glass Mosaic

I followed this sailboat sea glass mosaic DIY from Beachcombing Magazine, although it's pretty straight forward: use clear silicone caulking to attach the frame's glass to the frame (wait a day), draw out your design on paper & place behind the glass, use clear silicone caulking to attach sea glass to frame glass, toothpicks & q-tips for cleaning up errant caulking (I did not do a good job of this), and then let dry for a couple days.

The pattern I chose is loosely based off this mini-quilt masterpiece which was very helpful in making the free-form waves of the triangle quilt back. It's sort of meant to look ocean-y, although the colors of glass aren't that distinct, I think it comes off close enough to that feeling.

  1. Attach frame-glass to frame with a small bead of silicone caulking. Let dry overnight.
  2. Organizing Sea Glass By Color
    Organizing Sea Glass By Color
  3. Testing Out Mosaic Design on Paper
    Testing Out Mosaic Design on Paper
  4. Using Silicone Caulking to Attach Sea Glass
    Using Silicone Caulking to Attach Sea Glass
  5. Toothpicks + Pliers for Adjusting Design
    Toothpicks + Pliers for Adjusting Design
  6. Let dry for a few days.

Downstairs Bathroom Refresh Downstairs Bathroom Refresh

3 comments:

missris said...

This is beautiful, and such a good idea.

rooth said...

That's so pretty - I love how it turned out

Dawn said...

That is just gorgeous, I'm now eyeing up my sea glass collection.