Success: Baked Pesto Rotini with Garden-harvested Basil

Wednesday, August 5, 2020


Baked Pesto Rotini
July 31, 2020

Folks, I topped my 4 basil plants months ago. What this means is that I now have basil for days. More than I can even use dried. They're short and squat and full of great basil florettes. So I made a pesto with almonds instead of pine nuts, and a few garden-grown kale leaves for good measure. I loosely followed the pesto recipe from PinchOfYum's Baked Pesto Rigatoni...and then used it to make the pesto pasta dish described therein.
Baked Pesto Rotini with Tomatoes

It's tasty enough, and summer-y enough that I've now made this twice, once with vine-ripened tomatoes and once with multi-colored cherry tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes are the way to go here.
A few cups of garden-fresh basil
A few cups of basil rosettes harvested...
Basil, after harvesting a few cups
3/4 Basil plants a few days later on July 17.
Second basil harvest (3/4 plants)
A second basil harvest on July 28, 2020.

Making Pesto
Making Pesto

1 comments:

rooth said...

That looks absolutely delicious. We 100% need a basil plant