Knitting for Babies: Owls in Blue Smaller Layette

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Smaller Owlie Items in the Set

To be completely honest, one of the reasons why I pretty much always make several sizes of knitted baby garments is because I don't really know how big babies are. And also, an item that fits a newborn may fit the baby for far less time than an item that fits a 3 month old. It also means I can mess up my gauge a bit and still be okay - one of the items has gotta fit! Which is how we end up with this collection of small items, and later the "larger" items. Who knows what month-old size any of this actually is!

Levi Lovie - Owl Version

This is LEVI - the super easy lovie, lightly adapted to be an owl rather than a dog. Crochet some eyes and a beak, and you get a completely different animal!

Owlie Hat

LEVI was made to go with these other matching owl items. Above is the owlie hat, without any modifications, although I did opt to use some blue scrap yarn to embroider eyes onto one of the cabled owls. This approach was used for all owl cables in this set for some additional coordination!

Owlie Sleep Sack Owlie Sleep Sack - close-up (embroidered eyes)

The owlie sleep sack is made by the same designer as the owlie hat. Mostly unmodified here, until the very end when I made the sleep sack a little more diaper-change friendly by having it open and close at the bottom. I miscalculated my gauge a little on this one, so I suspect the sleep sack is a bit smaller than it should be...

Tiny Pants with Owls

I modified the tiny pants pattern to have the same owl cables as the Owlie Sleep Sack, but other than that, the pattern isn't modified. These look particularly tiny. But they are called "tiny pants"! Who knows!

Both Sets of Booties: Garter & Owlie

These seamless bottom-up booties were heavily modified from the originals to be mostly Garter Stitch, rather than Stockinette. And then I put in a modified owl cable on top of the bootie, adapting the owls from the Owlie Hat. It's not super obvious they're owls, but it doesn't matter. Surf Baby Blue booties match Surf Baby Blue everything else!

The Owlie Knit Baby Layette

1 comments:

SEO Expert said...


It’s a great pleasure reading your post. Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. blooms of Bradford