Recipe: Mom's Kielbasa Soup

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Well, over a year later and I've finally gotten around to stealing my mom's recipe for her kielbasa soup, affectionately nicknamed 'hot dog soup.' Around here, we hide the leftovers in personal thermoses so that my brother doesn't eat all of it. Because he's a human garbage disposal and he regularly eats all of the food around home. It is indeed a beloved soup.

Kielbasa Soup (aka "Hot Dog Soup")

Kielbasa Soup Recipe
1/4 c butter
1/2 c chopped onion
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
4 cups milk
1 1/2 c chicken broth
1 1/2 c diced cooked potatoes
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen lima beans
1 pkg (~10 oz) frozen whole kernal corn
8 oz thinly sliced kielbasa (mom uses 16 oz)

Melt butter in 4 qt pot. Saute onion until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in flour and seasonings, until smooth. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk & broth. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute. Add potatoes, lima beans, corn, and sausage. Heat thoroughly.


Enjoy!

18 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yummy! I just made a sausage, bean and kale soup which I really liked! I might have to try yours though because my husband and daughter were not big fans of the kale. : )

Atley said...

ooohhhh... that just makes my mouth water...

missris said...

This looks amazing. If it ever gets properly cold in Pittsburgh I'm going to have to make it!

Tiffany Kadani said...

Oh yum! That looks amazing!

memory said...

left you a award\fun quiz on my blog today. hope you can do it!
southernpinky.blogspot.com

Alexa said...

Yum! It looks perfect for winter weather!

Cee said...

I grew up with kielbasa, and I've seen it cooked in almost every way... but never soup! I'm a vegetarian, but I know if my husband sees this recipe, it will show up on our stove the next day. And to be fair, it does look delicious :)
xox,
Cee
http://cocoandvera.blogspot.com

The Blonde Duck said...

I've always wanted to try it!

amy b.s. said...

this is perfect timing! we just made a ton of kielbasas and i've been wondering what i'm going to do with them all!

Why Girls Are Weird said...

YUM, I love kielbasa!

sherri lynn said...

I've never made kielbasa! This looks good!

A Life Un-Styled said...

This looks great, like real comfort food! Could you substitute kielbasa with something else?

Ashley said...

Sounds and looks great! I had soup the past two nights in a row and I think the beans are getting to my stomach. Would like to try this:)

Anonymous said...

OMG. This looks so good and it's a little chilly today so this would be a perfect dinner. I'm going to have to try it - thanks for sharing! xo

rooth said...

Oh that looks good - and pretty simple to pull together

Anonymous said...

That looks really, really good! Thanks for you sweet comment on my blog today. I still feel really lazy, especially when I see all the work you put into your halloween costume! - Allison

h said...

Allison- There is no length I will not go to, to make a slutty yeti costume look good.

hahahahahahahahahhahahaha
*sigh*

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. It looks like we have the same taste in food. I am a terrible cook but I am learning. You have a lot of great recipes that I would like to try. I'm your new follower!
- Marie